UNIVERSITY OF JAFFNA, SRI LANKA VACANCY FOR THE POST OF PROJECT ASSISTANT – (Full Time) AHEAD OPERATION
FACULTY LEVEL DEVELOPMENT PROJECT FACULTY OF ARTS AND AGRICULTURE
Applications are invited for the above post on contract basis from suitably qualified persons up to 05th July 2019.
TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR) FOR PROJECT ASSISTANT – AHEAD OPERATION, ELTA ELSE GRANTS – FACULTY OF ARTS AND FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
The development of the higher education sector is of central importance to enable Sri Lanka to make the transition from a Lower-Middle Income Country (LMIC) to an Upper Middle-Income Country (UMIC). Recognizing this, the Government of Sri Lanka (GoSL) and the World Bank have agreed to support the higher education sector through a Bank funded Accelerating Higher Education Expansion and Development (AHEAD) operation.
- THE OPERATION:
The AHEAD operation is organized in two components. The first is a Program Component that supports the national Higher Education Development Program. The second is a systems strengthening, capacity building and technical assistance component that will assist GoSL to strengthen the higher education sector and achieve the objectives of the AHEAD program component. This second will also cover monitoring and evaluation, policy analyses, program coordination and communication.
The implementing agency is the Ministry of City Planning, Water Supply and Higher Education (MCPWSHE). The University Grants Commission (UGC) will coordinate the activities of the universities. There will be an Operations Monitoring and Support Team (OMST) which will coordinate and support all AHEAD activities between the MCPWSHE, UGC, and the universities. AHEAD has three Results Areas:
- Results Area 1: Increasing Enrollment in Priority Disciplines for Economic Development
- Results Area 2: Improving the Quality of Higher Education
- Results Area 3: Promoting Research, Development and Innovation
- KEY TASKS:
Subject to any specific directives given by the Project Coordinator, Activity Coordinators, and/or Dean of the Faculty in coordination with the OTS office the main duties and responsibilities of the project Assistant / ELTA-ELSE Grant will be to:
- Assist the Project Coordinator, Activity Coordinators, and/or Dean of the Faculty, OTS Director, Deputy Director/ Procurement, Deputy Director/ Finance and Senior Administration Officer in overall implementation of Operation activities.
- Assist the Project Coordinator, Activity Coordinators, and/or Dean of the Faculty for timely reporting of physical, procurement and financial progress to OTS Director, Deputy Director/ Procurement and Senior Administration Officer.
- Assist the Project Coordinator, Activity Coordinators, and/or Dean of the Faculty, OTS Director and Senior Administration Officer in the procurement activities in the following areas:
- In carrying out procurement of goods, services, works and consultancy services in general, particularly preparation and updating of procurement plans, implementation of procurement process in terms of Government and World Bank guidelines with the approval of the Deputy Director/Procurement.
- Maintaining records, assisting in conducting procurement reviews and furnishing reports as required.
- Assist the OTS Director, Deputy Director/ Finance and Senior Administration Officer in the management of Financial activities, in the following areas:
- Management and utilization of Operation funds released to the OTS, with the approval of the Deputy Director/Finance.
- Maintaining proper financial records for all expenses of ELTA ELSE Grant
- Maintain a good rapport with the OTS officials and ELTA-ELSE Coordinators to assist in procurement and other activities.
- Maintaining an efficient filing system
- Any other duties assigned by the Project Coordinator, Activity Coordinators, and /or Dean of the Faculty, and OTS Officials.
- METHOD OF RECRUITMENT: Selection by interview among the shortlisted candidates
This is a full-time position. Initially the Contract Appointment shall be for a period of 12 months and may be renewed based on performance and need during the Operation period.
- A monthly payment of LKR 35,000 and applicable CLA, EPF and ETF will be paid.
- Payments will be made by OTS Office, upon submission of the monthly progress report by the Project Coordinator based on approval by the OTS Director.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The required qualifications and experience are as follows:
- Passed in G.C.E Advanced Level examination.
- Bachelor’s degree would be an added qualification.
- Work experience with World Bank funded project or similar projects would be an added qualification
- GENERAL CONDITIONS
- Should be a Citizen of Sri Lanka
- Age should be below 35 years on the date of closing of application.
- PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- High level of proficiency in written and spoken English and Tamil/ Sinhala
- Basic knowledge in Project management, Accounting, Finance and Procurement Activities in accordance with the Higher Education Operations and World Bank Guidelines.
- High level of IT literacy, especially in the areas of Electronic mailing, Word and Excel for office environment, and Project management platforms.
- Ability to communicate effectively in Tamil/ English with officials and different stakeholders including local suppliers.
- Ability to function effectively in a team environment inspiring trust and cooperation of other team members.
- Ability to achieve the targets in time align plan.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants who are interested in the above post are requested to submit their application through E-mail to email@example.com in the prescribed form available in the University of Jaffna website www.jfn.ac.lk along with scanned copies of the certificates. Originals should be submitted at the interview. Date for interview will be notified to the eligible candidates through E-mail.
Note: Applicants in the Service of Government, Corporations and Statutory Board can submit their application directly. When they present for the interview they should bring a hardcopy forwarded through the Head of Institution concerned.